nafex - Re: [NAFEX] strawberries

  • From: "Ginda Fisher" <list@ginda.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] strawberries
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 16:38:22 -0400

On May 20, 2011 3:01 PM, Road's End Farm &lt;organic87@frontiernet.net&gt;
wrote:

On May 20, 2011, at 2:52 PM, fuwa fuwa usagi wrote:

&gt;

&gt; 1) in season supermarket strawberries tend not to be bad tasting.

_______
I bought a pint of

strawberries at the grocery store. They had the approximate flavor and

texture of an unripe pear. A seriously unripe pear.

(It might, of course, also depend on what your particular supermarket

carries. A few do have local strawberries in season.)

----------------------

It certainly depends on your market. I buy strawberries by scent. I stick my
nose near the fruit and sniff. When I buy supermarket strawberries at all,
they are usually good. I have never bought excellent strawberries in a
supermarket, though. I have bought excellent strawberries at a farmers'
market and at pyo farms.

(The few strawberries I harvested at home were seriously under-ripe and only
fair. I've never found a ripe strawberry -- the critters eat them before they
get there. I do get a few ripe alpine strawberries, and they can be very
good.)

Ginda
Eastern MA, zone 6