nafex - Re: [NAFEX] strawberries

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] strawberries
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 15:01:30 -0400

On May 20, 2011, at 2:52 PM, fuwa fuwa usagi wrote:

1) in season supermarket strawberries tend not to be bad tasting.

That might depend on your definition of "not bad tasting".

I don't eat supermarket berries often; but when I have, they've often tasted of nothing at all.

One year I was handing out taste samples at market, and a customer got very indignant because her strawberry was juicy. I kid you not: she got juice on her shirt when she bit into it, and she was mad. Wondering what on earth she had been expecting, I bought a pint of strawberries at the grocery store. They had the approximate flavor and texture of an unripe pear. A seriously unripe pear.

(It might, of course, also depend on what your particular supermarket carries. A few do have local strawberries in season.)