nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Jonafree, Liberty, Macfree, Freedom: how good are they?

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Jonafree, Liberty, Macfree, Freedom: how good are they?
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 11:19:37 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Jackie,

I've never grown Macfree, but the other three I've had some experience with...

Jonafree I grew in N. Georgia (Zone 7) & my observations are v. similar to
that posted already for that region. They had very good flavor and texture
(hard, not crisp) that was reminiscent of Jonathan, but did not color as well
as a New York-grown Jonathan. Susceptible to cedar apple rust and somewhat
susceptible to fireblight, though it was easily controlled just by pruning.

Freedom was also grown in N. GA. Also good flavor with good size. I only
had one tree, so I won't say too much more. Seemed pretty disease resistant.

Liberty I've grown in four locations over almost 20 years. These were N. GA
and 3 North Carolina locations (all Zone 7b or 8). In a good year, it's my
favorite apple of all for flavor. It is large, crisp and juicy with an
excellent blend of tartness and sweetness. It colors fairly well, even with
our hot nights and is resistant to all major diseases. Tree has naturally
wide crotch angles and requires little maintainence other than thinning. It
will overbear if allowed. One caveat from 2010: It was inedible last year,
in marked contrast to previous years. The apples were still beautiful and
large, but the apples lacked flavor and were mealy in texture. I'm not sure
why. Perhaps it was the 100 degree heat and the dry weather we had during
ripening.

Anton