nafex - [NAFEX] transplanting a young apple tree, and garden labels

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] transplanting a young apple tree, and garden labels
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 12:53:38 -0400

This afternoon, while cleaning up the yard, I accidentally broke the top off
of a seedling crab growing along the fence. Just for kicks, I grafted the
top of the "dead" tree onto what was left of the seedling crab. If it
survives, I'll report. The twig I grafted looked healthy.

I also found my box of aluminum tree tags, and labeled my apples. :-) I
bought a box of those (probably from AM Leonards although I can't find the
product in their current catalog) in 1999, and for a couple of years I was
good about using them. If you can find these labels, I heartily recommend
them. They are made of a few sheets of thin aluminum, so you can "engrave"
them with a pencil - basically denting the aluminum. The have a small home
and come with twist ties. They are very easy to use and the ones that I put
out in 1999 are still easy to read. I seem to have bought a box of hundreds,
so they can't be very expensive per piece.

Ginda