nafex - [NAFEX] Figs and Pomegranates for the Mid-Atlantic - looking for info

  • From: Jonathan Storvick <jstorvick@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Figs and Pomegranates for the Mid-Atlantic - looking for info
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 23:10:21 -0400

I'm looking for some region-specific info -

First - pruning figs for commercial production - in temperate climates (ie.
the mid-Atlantic, northern VA in particular) figs tend to grow as multi-stem
shrubs rather than single-trunk trees, what would be the best way to prune
these?

Second - given adequate microclimate and frost protection, what might be the
best pomegranate cultivars or varieties to grow here? We're in zone 6/7
(depending on who's hardiness map you're looking at). Also looking for
possible sources of scion wood for research purposes.

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan Storvick