nafex - Re: [NAFEX] [Bulk] Jonafree, Liberty, Macfree, Freedom: how good are they?

  • From: sherwin <sherwindu@att.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] [Bulk] Jonafree, Liberty, Macfree, Freedom: how good are they?
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 18:21:06 -0500

On 5/2/2011 3:41 PM, Jackie wrote:
Anyone have experience with these disease-resistant apples? Taste?
Resistance? Difficulties? Thanks so much.

Jackie Kuehn

Jackie,

One of the disease resistant apples I like is William's Pride. Mine is 17 years old
on Mark rootstock and is a consistent producer. I have reduced my spraying the
past few years going over to ziplock bags. This apple shows little sign of disease.
It produces nice big almost maroon apples (if you leave them on the tree long enough).
The flavor is very good, but not quite as good as some of my non-disease apples
like Ashmead Kernel, Freyberg, Spigold, etc. This is a sweet apple, but not as sugary
as a Fuji. One big advantage for me is it is one of my earliest apples. I would recommend
it highly.

Sherwin Dubren
Morton Grove, IL