nafex - [NAFEX] Hardy kiwi male

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hardy kiwi male
  • Date: Sun, 08 May 2011 17:48:05 -0600

Does anyone know if there are any differences in requirements between a female and male Actinidia arguta? I have a female that I planted last year and it's getting well established. Just 8 feet away I've had three male plants bite the dust. We are in a location in NM that gets quite hot in the summer and the sun is very strong.

I remember something about cats being attracted to the plants. The third male looked like its one tender shoot had been physically destroyed overnight. Nothing is bothering the female. Any ideas?

Regards,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
Lead Author, Barron's Test Prep Publications
(800) 353-4898
In New Mexico, (505) 281-0684
10 am to 10 pm Mountain Time, 7 days