nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Jonafree, Liberty, Macfree, Freedom: how good are they?

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: Nat'l Ass'n of Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Jonafree, Liberty, Macfree, Freedom: how good are they?
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 21:18:02 +0000

Jackie,

I first tasted Liberty at a nearby orchard some years ago. They sell well
there. I like the tartness and crunch, color and flavor. Keeps at least until
New Years Day.
So, when considering an apple to grow in my yard Liberty topped the list. It
was planted in spring of 2007 (purchased from Raintree on EMLA26 stock) and
the first crop was harvested last Fall. Fine apple, trouble free regarding
diseases; the one caveat may be you must take care not to stunt its growth by
encouraging fruit too early in its youth. Liberty is the smallest of my trees
planted the same season. Worth having.

Dave Liezen z6 E. WA