nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting tools

  • From: sherwin <sherwindu@att.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting tools
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 19:34:40 -0500

On 4/13/2011 8:26 AM, Chris Garriss wrote:
Well, back when I got the tool my success rate with a knife was abysmal. At
best. The first year I used the tool, it went up to about 95%.

I can do 10 grafts using the tool in about a quarter of the time (or less)
as with a knife. Plus I've had some problems with carpal tunnel, surgery
for ulnar compression and have some arthritis - the tool is easier for me.
The tool I have is not new, not fancy, does not claim to do bud grafts,
etc.

Chris
Thanks for the interesting reply Chris.

Would you say most of your problems using a knife were because of your medical
condition? Was the tool able to handle smaller size wood or dissimilar size wood?

I wish I could get 95 per cent takes with my grafts using a knife. Logic tells me that
there should not be any big advantages for success using a tool. Heck, grafting is
just getting that cambium to line up, wraping it tight, and protecting it from
drying out.

Sherwin Dubren