nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting tools

  • From: Chris Garriss <cgarriss@garriss.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting tools
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 09:26:44 -0400

Well, back when I got the tool my success rate with a knife was abysmal. At
best. The first year I used the tool, it went up to about 95%. After that
I started doing sort of custom grafting (free) for friends and family. The
areas I am in (central NC and NE mountains of NC) have been quite rural, but
the central NC area is fast changing. There are quite a few people around
that the families have lived on the land for generations - a few back to
pre-revolutionary times. Their kids / grand kids / ... / remember the trees
on the "old homeplace", and most have no idea what the variety is - in some
cases may be a one of a kind. So, once they "knew" someone that might be
able to save a piece of the tree, I got a number of requests. It is fun,
you can see a definite result from what you do and it results in something
(most of the time) positive - "rescuing" a pieces of someone's memory and
history and seeing the tree(s) grow. My job (work) is not really like that
- the specifics may vary slightly, but seldom is there a such a definitive
result. Or at least it seems that way to me.

I do not do many at a time - perhaps 20 - 25 per year, and then some years
none. Mostly apples, but some cherry and pear. On my own property I have
25 - 30 trees, but over the years have probably grafted 400 - 500, a few at
a time.

I like seeing the continuation of something that in some cases is almost
like having an honored family member find renewed vigor. In some cases a
tree is far gone - sometimes mostly dead - and finding graftable material is
quite difficult. At times, to my wife's dismay, the fruit storage bin in
the refrigerator has nothing but scions. I have never kept / grown any of
the materials grafted for others - space is one factor: I need space for my
own memories [?]

I can do 10 grafts using the tool in about a quarter of the time (or less)
as with a knife. Plus I've had some problems with carpal tunnel, surgery
for ulnar compression and have some arthritis - the tool is easier for me.
The tool I have is not new, not fancy, does not claim to do bud grafts,
etc.

Long winded, and not all on point, but ...

Chris