nafex - Re: [NAFEX] want to talk about pears, for a bit

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] want to talk about pears, for a bit
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:03:10 -0500

I bought an Ure, a Nova and a John from Bear Creek, all allegedly for my zone. John died almost right away. Nova has been trying to die but still clings to life; it produces low branches that die after a few years.
Ure is a magnificent tree. Every year it produces thousands of blossoms but only three or four fruits. The honey bees love it but don't manage to fulfill the pollination job so now I've started grafting other varieties of pear onto it hoping that, when they bloom, will bloom at the same time as the Ure.
A friend has a "wild" pear; least-wise, that is what he calls it. Something that came up from the roots after the top died. It produces golf-ball size, spherical, fruits that are extremely bitter so I grafted every hardy variety that Bear Creek had onto it. Most of the grafts grew but only one bears fruit and did so almost immediately. I wish I knew what variety it is but the tag I put onto it at grafting time has disappeared.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Fruit Farm
4002 Davis Street
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472