nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Anyone tried bark grafting with non-dormant scions?

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Anyone tried bark grafting with non-dormant scions?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 17:11:55 -0500

Last summer I decided to try a bark graft on a plum in August. I only tried
one, but it failed. I did the same thing you outlined, I cut off the leaves
and wrapped in parafilm.

With a bridge graft the upper part of the tree is actively "pulling" on the
roots so it is not quite the same situation. Maybe there is a way where you
leave a leaf or part of a leaf on the scion that is bark grafted so it will
exert some pull as well. This is a common trick using in rooting certain
plants.

Scott