nafex - Re: [NAFEX] cudrania

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] cudrania
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 15:40:34 -0500

Che-- how does it taste? Is it worth growing?
What is your favorite use of the fruit?

I remember trying one years ago, and it was insipid.
Maybe the one I tried was not representative.

Michele
SW Ohio z 6a

Michele,

To my taste it is mildly sweet, pleasant. Kind of a watermelon flavor.
Strange, rough external texture, similar to a peach. Not as good a
flavor as its relatives mulberry and fig.

I like that it is a decent sized fruit (very large grape-sized), pest
free (so far), undemanding culture, seedless, different. I have only
eaten my few fruits fresh off the tree. However, I plan to try drying,
preserving it, etc. it to see if I can intensify the flavor. Hopefully
I will get more fruit this year and will be able to explore in the
kitchen!

Betsy