nafex - [NAFEX] Anyone tried bark grafting with non-dormant scions?

  • From: Christopher Kennel <ckennel@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Anyone tried bark grafting with non-dormant scions?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 09:48:07 -0700

When working with stone fruits in the past I've whip-and-tongue grafted in the dormant season and chip budded in the summer, but this year I'd like to experiment with bark grafting. Since I didn't collect any dormant scions this winter, I'm wondering what would happen if I tried to bark graft with non-dormant scions this summer. To reduce transpiration from the grafted scions before the callouses form, I propose cutting the petioles very short or off and wrapping the entire scion with parafilm. I also plan to use the scions soon after cutting them and could place them in water or wrap them with damp paper towels immediately after cutting them from the host trees.

I've read that one can bridge graft with non-dormant scions in the event that a trees gets girdled, so it stands to reason that it may be possible to perform other grafts with non-dormant scions as well.

Has anyone else tried using non-dormant scions with grafting techniques in which dormant scions are normally used? If so, what were the results?

Thanks,
Chris Kennel
Denver, CO (zone 5)