nafex - [NAFEX] orchard+pigs+chickens

  • From: Leslie Moyer <unschooler@lrec.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] orchard+pigs+chickens
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 01:34:08 -0600

I'm looking for specific information about using pigs and chickens (and/or
ducks, turkeys, guineas, etc.) for orchard floor management (controlling
vegetation under trees) and insect control in an organic orchard. Does
anyone know of resources or people they could point me toward where I might
learn more about that? I read of an organic orchard co-op in Wisconsin where
they're doing that and I've found and heard brief mentions here and there of
other instances that are all void of details, but I need some more specific
"how-to" information about replicating it. I even read about the U. of MI
doing research in this field, but I still can't track down any details.

Thanks for any leads,

-Leslie / NE Oklahoma