nafex - Re: [NAFEX] orchard+pigs+chickens

  • From: Amelia Hayner <abhayner@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] orchard+pigs+chickens
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 08:37:02 -0500

hi!
I don't know about the whole list, but what I CAN tell you is... do NOT
believe anyone that tells you that sheep won't eat bark, like a goat. Yes,
they will. When the sap is rising, in the spring- they are right there..
waiting.
And the bad thing about turkeys, is that sometimes, occasionally, they want
to roost in inopportune places.
like the top of a fence post, or a weak branch. If you had a couple of
really fat pet turkeys, that are strictly ground-type birds, they should be
fine.
and pigs love to scratch their shoulders on trees. If you happen to see some
lucky pigs, in a natural setting- you will notice that all trees in the
enclosure are dead, or dying. Look closer, and see that they have been
girdled, by scratching pigs.
I would encourage you to check out silky chickens.
the older types, not show birds, that can actually see.
they are small, almost totally flightless, and they DO scratch, but only on
surface, they don't have the muscle to dig down deep.
Amy
NC