nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Jujube for SE

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Jujube for SE
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 15:52:09 -0500

As in my last message, knowing where you are in NC makes a significant
difference in how jujubes will perform for you.
The two you mention bear well in N. Alabama, and could work for you.
AJ Bullard, in Mt. Olive NC, has been a longtime grower of jujubes, so
he could help if his conditions are similar to yours. As can Michael
McConkey, in a cooler climate in the Blue Ridge of VA (also Zone 7, if
I recall right).

Thank you so much Richard. I am glad that I asked, I did not realize
there was so much variability among varieties in any one location.

So, I am in central NC, about 1.5 hours west of AJ's place in the
coastal plain. I know that his place is hotter, and probably wetter than
mine. I am right in the middle of the Piedmont. about 1 hour w/sw of
Raleigh, 30 mins west of Chapel Hill. Although there is USDA zone 7b
close by, my place is situated in a narrow 'tongue' of 7a that almost
splits the state in two in the middle of the Piedmont. We get somewhat
drier and colder conditions in the winter compared to surrounding towns,
Unfortunately, our summers are just as hot and humid!

Thanks for the thoughtful answers and helpful guidance.

Betsy
7a, Central NC