nafex - Re: [NAFEX] MisIdentification: Goumi vs. Autum Olive

  • From: Leslie Moyer <unschooler@lrec.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] MisIdentification: Goumi vs. Autum Olive
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 12:20:10 -0600

On Jan 30, 2011, at 5:58 AM, Amelia Hayner wrote:

> This is WHY I want to find out what honeyberries, and wolfberries taste
> like BEFORE I plant them.

I had a couple of honeyberries that struggled along here in Oklahoma for a
couple of years before succumbing to the drought last year (when I left town
during an especially dry period). I got fruit from one of them last spring
and I thought they tasted a LOT like blueberries, but without as much flavor.
They were large, but just rather bland. I've decided not to replant as, for
my money, the blueberries do better here and don't need quite the TLC that
the honeyberries do. It helps, I'm sure, that my blueberries are pampered in
the garden on drip irrigation and are mulched heavily....next time I'd plant
the honeyberries there, too, instead of trying to landscape with them.

--Leslie / NE Oklahoma / zone 6b or 7a