nafex - Re: [NAFEX] MisIdentification: Goumi vs. Autum Olive

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] MisIdentification: Goumi vs. Autum Olive
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 15:10:26 -0000

Amy,   Wolfberries are supposedly naturalized on the Carolina coast.  I can buy them cheap dried in oriental grocery stores, but because of their use as a "tonic" herb I would like to grow them.  They don't seem to like clay soil, I've read they like sand.  I have read that the bushes are so ugly that their only landscaping use is to cover up something even uglier.  The flavor of the dried berries is of course going to be stronger than the fresh, but dried they taste a bit like dried tomatoes.  You can probably find some dried berries if you look around.  They are called various things on labels, "Fructus Lycii" and chinese wolfberry and boxthorn.  Donna