nafex - Re: [NAFEX] ducks

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: Nat'l Ass'n of Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] ducks
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 03:39:45 +0000

All of the lightweight breeds and most of the mid-weight (Ancona, Welsh Harlequin, Runner, Hookbill, Magpie, Cayuga, Swedish, Campbell come quickly to mind) and even some heavier (Saxony and Appleyard) are excellent foragers. They will track down insects, spiders, slugs (snails, if you have 'em) and many weeds (plus some flowers, like tulips). Their manure is gentle (no burn). I think it reasonable to find they will help in your orchard if you put them to the test, quarterly or otherwise.

Ducks are durable in all kinds of weather, as long as they have adequate access to water for drinking and face-washing. The only weather here in Spokane that troubles my birds is below 12 degrees F. Too cold for their bare feet, and they spend much of the time with feet tucked into belly feathers, sleeping until things moderate.
I've had some apples drop from my Liberty tree, and the ducks can't (at least my Harlequins) bite into those windfalls. Perhaps really soft (rotting) apples would be...

My one concern is if you spray your trees, you must consider if what you spray would be a threat to ducks. They can handle flukes in pastures without qualm, are rarely susceptable to disease if kept in reasonable health (the starving birds I rescued last year succumbed to coyotes and racoons, not diseases.) But chemicals can be deadly.
I recommend Welsh Harlequin as a breed of many attributes: calm if you treat them kindly, able to brood their own (at least a percentage of this breed will do so), wonderful egg production (I supplement day length with a 60 watt bulb and timer these months), decorative (sugarfrosted mallards) and easy to obtain. I bought my stock from Dave Holderread, in Corvallis, Oregon. He's the best.
If you gather windfalls (sounds like yes), any duck manure is easily washed away if it is still evident on the ground. In the warmer months their droppings in my yard go to insects and into the soil quickly. I wash eggs if needed, and then apply a drop of olive oil rubbing it over the entire surface to retain moisture.
One caveat: ducks are terribly vulnerable to predators since they cannot run fast or fly. If you have adequate fencing to keep out deer you might need to modify things a bit to do the same against predation.
All I have is a back yard in town; no orchard. Am trying not to be envious. Hope it goes well.

Dave Liezen