nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rabbit Problems

  • From: Dan Nave <nave1@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rabbit Problems
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 12:11:59 -0600

Exactly.  I was concerned when they ate the tops off my Carmine Jewel Cherry, Nanking Cherries, and currants but they have about 2 to 2.5 foot of plant left under the snow and probably will be fine come spring.  I was alarmed when I looked at my two plum trees on which I had put ribbed tubing up to about 2 feet and they had started eating the branches and bark above that.  Fortunately, I don't think they ringed the tree and I went down and got some 1" vinyl screen material and wrapped it up past the remaining branches so they won't be able to get them through that.  I think they will survive.  I had a flowering crab a couple of years ago that they girdled.  Very disappointing when that happens.

Dan