nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rabbit Problems

  • From: Bill Garthright <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rabbit Problems
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 10:32:06 -0600

What are the best ways of controlling rabbits?  I can't shoot them, as I live in a city.

I don't know what to tell you except... taller fences? We don't usually get that much snow, and last year I relied upon a low fence to protect a young apple tree. Yeah, last year was the exception, and the snow completely buried the fence. Rabbit chow! This winter, it's surrounded by a ring of chickenwire 4 ft. high.

I'm in the city, too. But luckily, my backyard is enclosed by a chainlink fence. I covered it completely in chickenwire, right down to the ground or a little lower, to keep out even baby rabbits. And I did the same at the gates, although that was a little harder. But my backyard is now rabbit-free. And against the chainlink fence, you can't even see the chickenwire. It's not noticeable at all.

Admittedly, if you leave a gap and a rabbit DOES get in, it's hard to chase him out again. But that hasn't happened for a couple of years (and even then, only with baby rabbits in the spring).

In the winter, rabbits are hungry, and there's not much else to eat. It's no wonder they chew on trees. I probably would, too (much less successfully, no doubt). I don't know if providing food would help - I suspect that rabbits can eat a LOT. But they might not be that desperate. They might only eat the really TASTY bark. :-)

Sorry, but "higher fences" is all I can offer.

Good luck!

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

http://garthright.blogspot.com/

--
I can't help thinking back to a time when American political leaders had big dreams, and audacious plans. No, we didn't eliminate poverty or drugs or cancer or terrorism, but we had presidents who tried, who created Medicare and Social Security, who built the interstate highway system, cleaned up our air and water, and we had Congresses that worked with them to make this country the wonder of the world. Now we have permanent campaigns waged by politicos who dream only of taking power. - Ed Stein