nafex - [NAFEX] Hawthorn as a deer edge around property. Seeking advice.

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hawthorn as a deer edge around property. Seeking advice.
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 13:46:16 -0500 (EST)

In Europe, hawthorn (Crataegus spp.) has been utilized as a traditional and effective barrier hedge.  I'd like to form a hedge around a property to restrict the entry of deer.

Instead of pleaching as is often done (i.e. Europe), I'd like to do the following:

Most native hawthorn species will grow at least 20' wide, at maximum maturity and are not (?) slow-growing.  For a less formal look (which requires a greater number of individual plants and may not be so healthy for the plant with regards to air-circulation), I'd like to space them apart in a row around the property at about 10' or 15' apart.

My expectation would be that they will, in time (no rush, as long as less then 10 years), spread-out to mutually lock in; however, I think most Hathorns, unlike Yews, will have a little clearance (maybe to 3' off the ground) so I'm concerned that deer will use this 3' to crouch under and enter.

1. Is there a way to get the hawthorn to put-out branches lower, even to the near ground?
2. Is there a species of hawthorn that puts out very low branches?
3. Any recommendations from the native northeastern species series: i.e. C. mollis; C. crus-galli; C. phaenophyrum; etc.?

Thank you,
Steve Covacci
New Jersey; USDA zone 6b/7a