nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Poncirus trifoliata (hardy orange) - invasive in thenortheast? Deer hedge.

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Poncirus trifoliata (hardy orange) - invasive in thenortheast? Deer hedge.
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 21:13:21 -0600

Steve,
    One thing about trifoliate is that it just will hardly grow when night time temps are below 60F.  Depending on your cool most of your nights are, you might A) at least have the wild seedlings grow slowly, and B) find that the plants you DID want also grow very slowly.  Oops.  And yes, it does spread in Tenn, I have seen it.  I'm not too pleased about the ones I planted here either, they are in my way, hard to get rid of, and are starting to crop.  At least the climate is harsher where we live than it was under large pines along the Tennessee river where I first saw trifoliate growing.      Donna