nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hawthorn as a deer edge around property. Seeking advice.

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hawthorn as a deer edge around property. Seeking advice.
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 06:52:33 -0500

I'm not an expert on Hawthorn species, can't tell most of them apart,
but C. crus-galli is especially nasty in the thorn department. Up to 4
inches long. So much so, that I would almost recommend other species,
which will get the job done without quite as much risk to you. All the
species I've seen have a very thick branching pattern, and I think it
is mostly that fact, and the very stiff branches, that would keep deer
out, although the thorns help. Not sure what to do to promote lower
branching, probably pruning the top a bit to let more light through
would help. You could bend down lower branches when young so they
filled up the spaces.

I've seen old fields where a lot of hawthorns had come in, about 7 to
15 feet between plants on average, and they sure do form an unpleasant
barrier to humans, and I think deer as well. As far as species, I
would either start with seed from local trees that fit your bill for
growth habit, or graft on from good trees. It seems like some of the
cultivated, i.e. nursery available species I've seen have not been
quite as thick growing as some of the wild species I've seen.

Good luck!

matt
z5 SE MI