nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hardy kiwi death- can I save scionwood now?

  • From: Dan Nave <nave1@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hardy kiwi death- can I save scionwood now?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 13:17:14 -0600

From http://www.burntridgenursery.com/plantArticles/kiwigrowingguide.pdf

WINTER CARE OF THE FUZZY KIWI: The biggest problem
we have seen in growing the Fuzzy Kiwi in western Oregon
and Washington has been frost damage to the lower trunk.
While the top of the plant is hardy to below 10 degrees
when dormant. Sunny weather with very cold nights can
cause freeze damage to the lower portion of the trunk. In
many cases this damage is severe enough to girdle the
plants causing the death of the top. While plants often send
up new shoots, the top growth is lost. To prevent this damage,
wrap the lower 2-3 feet of trunk with insulating material
such as ΒΌ inch closed cell foam. Mulch heavily around
the base of the plant as well if severe weather threatens.