nafex - Re: [NAFEX] flavorful blackberries?

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] flavorful blackberries?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:42:23 -0500

Hi Melissa,

My experience has been that Blackberries too can be exquisite. Their food value is entirely different from raspberries. For instance, those who care about antioxydants find blackberries far more interesting to eat..

Here, growing in the wild, we find three distinct types of blackberries.

-The Black raspberry, which looks like a cap with the plant propagating by the tip bending to the ground. Those are usually eaten fresh and will stand beautifully in a fruit salad;

-The tall thorny typical Blackberry, the berries are long timble shape and gritty. It makes fantastic jellies but you have to get rid of those seeds when you cook them. This year, with the above normal rain fall, those black berries were huge and quite worth collecting.

-The Dewberry. It is a short little bush growing in the moss. The fruit is somewhat more round than a tall blackberry, but most of all you can cook them entirely leaving the seeds in, as they are not gritty... More like a raspberry but with each grains separating more easily. They freeze really well. This is my favorite.

I have not been very successful with different types of domestic varieties for different reasons, even though they grow really well all around us, so I have resorted to pick them wild. Maybe, blackberries are not as easy to domesticate as raspberries, and if one wishes to do so, more attention has to be given to varieties?

Hélène, zone 3-4

----- Original Message ----- From: "Melissa Kacalanos" <mijwiz@yahoo.com>