nafex - Re: [NAFEX] flavorful blackberries?

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] flavorful blackberries?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 08:52:20 -0500

Melissa,

Coming from England where we have these great, flavourful albeit somewhat tart blackberries growing along side most country roads, ready to be picked by any passerby, I have high expectations for blackberry flavour. I find the mexican-grown blackberries that are sold up here in supermarkets insipid. To my knowledge no one is commercially growing them up here in Quebec (too risky climate-wise). However I have to say I was extremely pleased with the flavour of my home-grown fruits this year, perhaps not the best I've ever tasted but a helluva lot better than the supermarket stuff. I would have loved to have made a pie with them, but between me, my husband and the kids, hardly any of them even made it as far as the kitchen without being gobbled up!

I do appreciate my raspberries (hence my idea about pulling up the blackberries to make more room) but after this summer's harvest of blackberries I am glad they were tenacious enough to grow back!

Hoping you get to taste the blackberry that will change your mind,

Caren Kirk
St. Jerome, QC