nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wild Prunus (North American plums and sour cherries) - taste reviews.

  • From: cutts <cutts@cuttsreviews.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wild Prunus (North American plums and sour cherries) - taste reviews.
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 13:04:03 -0700

I find P. americana delicious. It has a wonderful fragrance as well as flavor, putting store-bought plums to shame. There is a stand of 100 plants that were put in as a conservation experiment about 15 miles from where I am. Even in the years with the worst late frosts, at least 8 or so of the 100 would fruit.

Unfortunately on my property - with about 30 plants - I have only rarely seen fruit set in close to 15 years. (New Mexico at 7000 ft) Microclimate thing, I guess. I'm trying some P. maritima to see if they work any better.

You mention prickly pear in your other note. There is a different cactus on my property that has a wonderful fruit. It is a ball cactus. Not sure of the species. I think I id'd it once but forget now what it is. It is perfectly hardy here at 7000 ft, as are certain pricky pears. Unlike the Opuntias, the ball cactus fruit is completely spineless. It needs to be pulled out from the cactus lobes with something like a tweezers. The fruit is about the size of a small, elongated fruit and has hints of strawberry and kiwi, to my taste. Our winters tend to be rather dry, so I don't know how it would do in a wetter place. Might do fine if given excellent drainage. You would need quite a number of plants to have a number of fruits, as there may be to two or three per plant. Maybe more under cultivation. Mine just grow wild in the fields.

Jay Cutts