nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wild Prunus (North American plums and sour cherries) - taste reviews.

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wild Prunus (North American plums and sour cherries) - taste reviews.
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 07:30:30 -0500

In my experience, which is mostly with local wild genotypes, P.
americana is way better than P. nigra. Americana varies quite a bit
around here, from "ooooh, you could probably make jam with it if you
add a lot of sugar....." to "that is the best plum i've ever had". The
half dozen or so P. nigra I've found have all been very hard even when
ripe, extremely astringent, and sour. And I've had some cultivated
beach plums. They were pretty good, but nowhere near as good as the
best of the americana I've had.

Pin cherry is much like choke cherry for eating. Yes, I've seen less
black knot on it. Pretty small and sour. I don't like them as much as
I like choke cherry.

-matt
z5 SE MI