nafex - [NAFEX] Native strawberries, brambleberries, ligonberries, pricklypear, etc.

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Native strawberries, brambleberries, ligonberries, pricklypear, etc.
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 02:33:19 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Does anyone have any particularly good-fruited native: strawberries (Fragaria virginiana; F. vesca - not the European subspecies); raspberries (Rubus idaeus spp. strigosus - not the European subspecies); ligonberries (Vaccinium idaeus spp. minus); eastern prickly-pear (Opuntia humifusa var. compressa)?

As you can see, practicality is a bit foreign to me: I'd rather eat a bitter, not-true-to-text-desription Vibrunum spp. (the edible ones, i.e. - prunifolium, lentago, etc.) that I will then regret and still eat some more next time then a conventional, bland green table grape.

Steve

  • [NAFEX] Native strawberries, brambleberries, ligonberries, pricklypear, etc., Steven Covacci, 11/27/2010