nafex - Re: [NAFEX] winter storage of apple trees

  • From: Leslie Moyer <unschooler@lrec.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] winter storage of apple trees
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 10:46:57 -0500

I haven't done this with trees, but I don't think it's too different from what commercial wholesale nurseries in northern climates do--they dig up their trees in the fall before the ground freezes and store the trees (bareroot, roots kept moist) in a refrigerated room until they sell them in the spring.

I have, however, done this with perennial plants and some shrubs. I moved 300 plants with me in one move and overwintered them in my dad's garden.  In the fall we knew we were moving, but didn't know where yet AND we lived in a climate where the ground would freeze and make winter digging impossible. So I dug the plants in the fall, took them to my dad's in MO, and we moved in Feb.  As soon as the ground warmed, I dug them up from my dad's and moved them to their new home in OK.  Everything survived very well.

--Leslie