nafex - [NAFEX] winter storage of apple trees

  • From: <jelie@new.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] winter storage of apple trees
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 14:55:03 -0400

Hey Everyone,

However poor the timing, my wife and I are looking at a possible move within
the next month or so. We have a number of trees and shrubs that we would
like to move. Cuttings would be the easiest way to go with a number of
things but I have about 30 apple trees that I have started from seed. They
are from 2-3 years of age. My father-in-law has offered me his garden to
help out in the move. I was considering the feasibility of pulling the apple
trees (most are 3-7 feet, trimming back the trunks at least a third, and then
burying them in his garden for the duration of the winter. I would pull them
out in April and plant them out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks All,

Jim Elie