nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple tree's/rootstocks for zone 3

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple tree's/rootstocks for zone 3
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 19:49:26 -0400

A 17:30 10.07.17 -0400, vous avez écrit :
> I just joined a couple weeks ago so I wanted to say hi, and to ask a
couple questions about growing apples in the cold zones like northern
Minnesota.

I would second Ernie's suggestion to stay away from dwarfs. They are mostly
designed for commercial high yield production and in general not so well
adapted for a home grower. And even more so in marginal apple growing
areas. I do however have a few trees on Ottawa-3 that are not doing bad,
but I would still prefer to have them on Antonovka. Beautiful Arkade is
possibly a slightly smaller alternative that could work for you.

As of the varieties, do try the Chestnut - it is great. Dolgo is another
ultra-hardy crab that is absolutely exquisite (I make a spread with it
which is in between a jelly and a butter). Other than that, there are many
"Prairie hardy" apples around, many also from Canada. Make your pick!

Claude Jolicoeur, in Quebec, zone 4