nafex - [NAFEX] Apple tree's/rootstocks for zone 3

  • From: Jim Hogan <whirlinghurly@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple tree's/rootstocks for zone 3
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 14:30:09 -0700 (PDT)

I just joined a couple weeks ago so I wanted to say hi, and to ask a couple
questions about growing apples in the cold zones like northern Minnesota.
I've read all the literature form the U of MN which isn't bad, but there
seems to be conflicting information so here I am. Right now I have 2 haralson
and 1 crabapple tree which do well here. The only things I do is prune them a
little and collect apples. Not a lot of pests or insect damage so they've
been pretty easy. We bought them from a nursery long time ago so I'm assuming
a standard rootstock. I want to try some dwarfing rootstocks and some other
apple, but our nurseries around here don't sell them so I'd have to look
elsewhere.
Basically I have 2 questions:
What dwarfing rootstocks will grow well in the cold?We hit 40-50 below 0
frequently. I have about 18-24 inches of topsoil, with a softer clay pan
beneath it(meaning I can dig it out pretty easily) and we grow a lot of corn,
alfalfa and oats.
Also from the U of MN info, doesn't look like a lot will actually grow for
apples, maybe sweet 16 and haralson. Do you have any others that you'd
recommend. I am mostly looking for eating and cider apples. The nursery had
beacon and chestnut crab, goodland and a couple others.

thanks
jim