nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple tree's/rootstocks for zone 3

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@countryspeed.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple tree's/rootstocks for zone 3
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 05:43:22 -0500

Hi Jim,

If you reach -40 C/F regularly you are in zone 2!

If you are not grafting the apples yourself or mail ordering them from the handful of nurseries that specialize in trees for the northernmost zones you are not doing it right. There is generally no way of knowing what the rootstock you have is otherwise.

Claude's assessment of the available hardy rootstocks is about right. I do, however, think that apples on Antonovka seedlings will work well for you if you get them from someplace like St. Lawrence or Fedco. Anything they have that would cross with the Antonovka to produce rootstocks is likely to be very hardy, too. Del Stubbs and Jim Fruth, both of whom frequent the list have orchards near Bemidji and Pequot Lakes respectively can tell you what's done well for them. In northern MN it's unlikely that you'd hit your lowest temperatures without some snow. Edmonton has those lovely Chinooks (so I've heard, anyway) which can cause midwinter snowmelts.

Good luck!
Steve Herje, USDA zone 3/4, SW WI

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Hogan" <whirlinghurly@yahoo.com>