nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple tree's/rootstocks for zone 3

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: Nat'l Ass'n of Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple tree's/rootstocks for zone 3
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 17:25:36 +0000

Claude,
 My trees stand in a back yard: space is an issue. This is zone 6 according to the Arbor people: winter low about 10 below, Fahrenheit, or -12C. Around here we enjoy the moderating affect of weather coming over from the Pacific, with much of the moisture wrung out of clouds by the Cascade range standing north to south. Those of my trees on EMLA26 handle this well. Another on EMLA7 not happy here at all.
 I'm trying chip-bud grafting this summer on Geneva30, which perhaps puts my trees at the upper limits of space requirements with better yield - so I hope.
                           Dave