nafex - [NAFEX] maximizing light in the garden

  • From: "Michele Stanton" <6ducks@gmail.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] maximizing light in the garden
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 09:14:21 -0400

Megan,

Commercial growers in low light situations sometimes use reflective mulch (mylar and metalized type materials) to maximize light and fruit quality.

Maybe some of the apple growers on the list can contribute their experiences.  I think it is used for tomatoes and other vegetables as well.

I think it would be a lot easier to put down a mylar mulch than to haul mirrors out to a garden.

go to: http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/orchard_mulch.htm

If this link doesn’t come through, go to the Ontario Canada  Omafra.gov.on.ca and search for Using Reflective Mulch for Light Management in Orchards.

There are lots of articles out there on the subject.

Michele in SW Ohio