nafex - [NAFEX] Rooting black currants

  • From: "Ernest Plutko" <ernestplutko@wiktel.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Rooting black currants
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 11:58:35 -0500

In late April I cut a total of eleven shoots from Ben Sarek and Ben
Loman black currents. The shoots were all about a foot long. I just
stuck the ends into the ground a few inches. All eleven cuttings are
growing vigorously with multiple new shoots coming from each cutting.
Yesterday, I dug one up to inspect and it has good white roots. I
read that black currants root easily but I am impressed how easily.
It has been raining almost everyday for more than a month and the
ground is too wet. It is too cloudy and the fruit tree leaves are
getting a yellowish cast. Weather is good for cuttings but not for
mature trees. More rain is predicted.