nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rooting black currants

  • From: Clifford Cain - uk yahoo <cc_syorks@yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rooting black currants
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 22:26:35 +0100

I received the following tip regarding rooting blackcurrants
Cut the hardwood cutting to approximately 6inches/15cm in length and insert into gritty compost either in the ground or pot. The cutting should be set obliquely / at an angle of 45degrees or so with two buds above the ground. (I have used my prunings from October pruning here in the UK)
The reason for this practice is to encourage the formation of a more bushy plant in the first year. Frequently an upright cutting roots but only grows the leader. When grown on the angle they produce 2-5 shoots. When planting out plant about 3-4inches / 7-10cm deeper than they where and cut back to a couple of buds and a more substantive bush obtained.

With regards to the Ben series of blackcurrants, these have been produced by SCRI, the Scottish Crop Research Institute, in Dundee on the east coast of Scotland just north of Edinburgh. Their work has mainly centred on producing blackcurrant varieties for Beechams (now GlaxoSmith Klien) for Ribena production (blackcurrant juice).
A list of their cultivars can be found at http://www.fruitbreeding.co.uk/BlackcurrantVarieties.asp

I have a habit of growing plants in pots to take to shows and talks but have found that vine weevil love currant roots. My winter routine now includes removing the dormant plant from the pot, washing all soil off and repotting.

Regards

Clifford
Doncaster, UK