nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mulberry trees

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mulberry trees
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 14:54:50 -0400

Caren, I've noticed on other matters that Ken Taylor tends to be optimistic about coldhardiness, and he likes to encourage people to try things in the hope that they may have a favourable microclimate etc.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Caren Kirk wrote:
Helene and Jay
Firstly Helene what a wonderful thing to want to preserve this tree and its fruit that obviously hold strong memories for you.
I do however have a question. In my pursuit to fill my garden with all things fruitful, I did actually consider planting a Mulberry. Ken Taylor at Windmill Point Farm in Montreal lists Illinois Everbearing and Carman as suitable for Z4 (I am Z4b, I imagine about the same zone as you are Helene)
In the end I decided to dedicate my somewhat limted space to other types of fruit, but for future reference, is the general opinion that Ken is being a little too optimistic? He is a little warmer than me down in Montreal.
Caren Kirk
St. Jerome, QC