nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mulberry trees

  • From: Andriy Palamarchuk <apa3a@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mulberry trees
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 08:18:06 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Thu, 6/10/10, Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps the easiest thing would be to sow seeds. I imagine that being
> the only mulberry tree around, the seeds would come quite true to type.

Hélène mentioned that the tree has a lot of suckers with fruits on them. If
the original tree was grafted, the berries may have the result of
cross-pollination with the rootstock. This may be desirable if one wants to
select even better tree than the original.

Hélène, if you are not sure whether the tree is grafted, you can try to graft
it right on the suckers of the original tree. Mulberry is reportedly very
easy to graft. I myself want to learn grafting this summer by grafting
Illinois Everbearing mulberry on the seedlings I found in my backyard. There
was a lot of discussions about mulberry grafting on this mailing list -
browse the archives.

According to the book "Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden" by Lee Reich (who is
also on this list), midsummer cuttings, treated with rooting hormone root
very well. I strongly recommend the book.

Just in case you can try more than one approach.

Andriy
Eastern MA, zone 6