nafex - Re: [NAFEX] OT: alternative herbicides

  • From: Mathew Waehner <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] OT: alternative herbicides
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 08:01:38 -0400

Betsy:

I use a herbicide made of cinamon and clove essential oils, mixed with an emulsifyer.  It is diluted and sprayed with a pump sprayer.  It works by disrupting the leaf cuticle, causing leaves to dry out.  When it is applied in hot sun, the leaves shrivel visibly in minutes.

The cost was about the same as roundup.  Sorry I don't remember the brand name, but they sell it at Logan's if you ever come through Raleigh.

As Lee said, it takes several applications to kill roots.