nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Saskatchewan Goji

  • From: John Barbowski <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Saskatchewan Goji
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 12:45:34 -0400

My partner recently got twigged into Goji berries after some elderly relatives in the Czech Republic got very positive results from the Goji's beneficial properties.

I hydrated a berry from some dried ones she purchased locally (not very cheap $8-9/lb +/-). It had many small seeds which I subsequently planted. Germination was very good, I suspect close ot 80%. This was after a couple of weeks.

The seedlings may be seen in the photo's at:
http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc149/JBarbowski/Figs/  (Click on the photo to enlarge it)

There is one contaminent flower (tagged) with a palmate complex leaf in the right pot.The Gojis are now about 2 months of age. I will plant some outside and treat the others like figs - namely protect them in the winter. Interesting comment on their cold tolerance variability.

I'll advise the list how they do.

If anyone can ID the fig in the album, I'd like some input. It was sold to me by a local nursery (they didn't know the name). A large sweet fig. Lovely red flesh. Minimal cavity.

john b

Canadian Zone 6b in Tornhill, just north of Toronto

(strange winter, Toronto had no snow in March  - all time record. No snow in April. Had a light dusting on May 8th - but at least no killing frost. All fruit trees finished blooming, strawberries forming. Blackberry flowers forming. Everything 2-3 weeks early! Lilacs finishing. Extremely dry in April. Also have the worst peach leaf curl I have ever seen. In spite of a paucity of polenators and warm weather, there seems to be a reasonable fruit set)