nafex - [NAFEX] Another Canadian nursery experience

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Another Canadian nursery experience
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 11:14:34 -0700 (PDT)

Sarah,

I'm sad to say that I've had a different experience, with a different
Canadian nursery. I don't know if I should even name the nursery yet without
giving them some more time to make amends.

There's been hubbub about new improved Canadian varieties of honeyberries,
called haskaps. Shipping and phytosanitary certificates are expensive, so I
found 4 other local gardeners to share an order. The 5 of us ordered 20
plants from a Canadian nursery that shall remain nameless.

The plants were so badly packaged, most of the soil had been shaken out of
the pots, and some of the plants had been shaken out of their pots and free
of soil entirely. 12 of the 20 plants are completely dried out and dead as
doornails, and the survivors are in very bad shape.

Of course, I complained to the company, and they said they were not
responsible for any damage, and I should file a claim with the post office. I
tried, but the post office said it was the nursery's job to file a claim.
This nursery also said that, since they wanted to ensure that I was a
satisfied customer, they'd give me a 25% discount if I wanted to buy
replacements for the dead plants!

Of course, I told the nursery that this wasn't acceptable, but this was a few
days ago and I haven't heard back yet. Is there anything I can do to get this
nursery to send me replacement plants? 4 gardeners are expecting me to
distribute plants to them.

Melissa