nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Fruit Trees Nursery

  • From: b b <maser.fruitcrops@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Fruit Trees Nursery
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 21:49:22 -0600

Hi Sarah; Interesting stuff from there. Cheers Kim

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com> wrote:
I just got my order from Éric de Lorimier and Véronique Alexandre of Hardy Fruit Trees Nursery at www.hardyfruittrees.ca.

Since the note on the order paper said to feel free to complain (or something like that), I will.

For starters, they personally called me to ask when I would like my trees (talk about harassment!) and happily agreed to keep them extra long since my climate is weeks behind theirs.  Then I called them and left a message asking them to ship the trees on Monday May 3rd, which was earlier than the previously agreed upon shipping date.  I got a quick email back confirming that they could send them on my new ship date and another email with the tracking number on Monday when they actually shipped my trees (who has time to read all this stuff?).  And it really would have been nice if they would have told me that Monday was a bad idea because we were going to have a blizzard on Wednesday.

Then there are the trees themselves:  I am going to have to dig enormous holes because the one year old apple and pear trees that I ordered arrived with huge roots.  I have clay soil people, don't they know that?

On to the packaging: the trees were shipped in a sturdy long cardboard box with lots of newspaper to prevent movement and damage to the trees (I’m sure paper products are environmentally unfriendly).  They also put real actually damp potting soil around all the roots and wrapped them securely in plastic so none dried out even a bit.  And for all this, I paid $37 each for my 7 trees.

So to sum up my “complaints” about my experience with Hardy Fruit Tree Nursery: unique varieties, nice trees, big roots, great packing techniques, arrived in tip top shape, unsurpassed customer service and very reasonable prices.... so my advice is that you order quickly before they sell out!

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**