nafex - [NAFEX] Hardy Fruit Trees Nursery

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hardy Fruit Trees Nursery
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 16:56:18 -0700 (PDT)

I just got my order from Éric de Lorimier and Véronique Alexandre of Hardy
Fruit Trees Nursery at www.hardyfruittrees.ca.

Since the note on the order paper said to feel free to complain (or something
like that), I will.

For starters, they personally called me to ask when I would like my trees
(talk about harassment!) and happily agreed to keep them extra long since my
climate is weeks behind theirs. Then I called them and left a message asking
them to ship the trees on Monday May 3rd, which was earlier than the
previously agreed upon shipping date. I got a quick email back confirming
that they could send them on my new ship date and another email with the
tracking number on Monday when they actually shipped my trees (who has time
to read all this stuff?). And it really would have been nice if they would
have told me that Monday was a bad idea because we were going to have a
blizzard on Wednesday.

Then there are the trees themselves: I am going to have to dig enormous
holes because the one year old apple and pear trees that I ordered arrived
with huge roots. I have clay soil people, don't they know that?

On to the packaging: the trees were shipped in a sturdy long cardboard box
with lots of newspaper to prevent movement and damage to the trees (I’m sure
paper products are environmentally unfriendly). They also put real actually
damp potting soil around all the roots and wrapped them securely in plastic
so none dried out even a bit. And for all this, I paid $37 each for my 7
trees.

So to sum up my “complaints” about my experience with Hardy Fruit Tree
Nursery: unique varieties, nice trees, big roots, great packing techniques,
arrived in tip top shape, unsurpassed customer service and very reasonable
prices.... so my advice is that you order quickly before they sell out!

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB