nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Jujube

  • From: "Kieran and/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Jujube
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 08:58:54 -0500

There are or at least still were 2 years ago, 2 nice jujube trees at MTSU in Murphressboro by the old milk barn.  I haven't ever been there are just the right time, but have picked up seeds just after all the fruit rotted on the ground.  Alas, the easy crack walnut trees have been cut down, and I don't know how much longer they'll put up with students complaining about all that messy fruit on the ground under the jujubes.  The fruit was big, probably not the best variety for our climate.  I'd think smaller fruit would be easier to dry here.  On the other hand, I think the bigger varieties (in China) tended to be preserved in syrup or wine.    Donna