nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Jujube

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Jujube
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 14:49:48 -0400

Some years ago the Pomona carried a short article about someone who had successfuly grown and I think fruited a *seedling* jujube at Chatham, Ontario, a few miles east of Windsor/Detroit on the way to London. This is just a bit colder than the probably coldest commercial peach growing area a little way to the southwest and closer to Lake Erie. So I think that as others have said or implied, there are probably cultivars or possible seedlings that are adapted to your area. Since they have been grown in the eastern U.S. for a long time, it should be possible to find cultivars.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Michele Stanton wrote:
Is there anyone growing jujube in Zones 5-6-7 of the Midwest or East?

I’ve tasted fresh fruit grown in California and really like it, but I don’t know how well the trees might do in a more humid climate.

Michele in SW Ohio

Growers pondering Chinese *jujube* fruit <http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://www.krqe.com/dpp/local_guide/grow_local/growers-pondering-chinese-jujube-fruit&ct=ga&cad=:s1:f2:v0:i0:lt:e0:p0:t1272976828:&cd=ihZJ7qf_n74&usg=AFQjCNGgNslGRHc_LBMDzkwBCe-eFrSMZw>
KRQE
ALCALDE, NM (KRQE) - The *jujube* tree and its fruit have flourished in China for 4000 years, and now two researchers believe it can thrive as an alternative *...*