nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apricot won't break dormancy

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apricot won't break dormancy
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 08:55:29 -0500

I replaced my Puget Gold apricot this spring. The replacement plant is still
completely dormant, despite lots of hot weather that's had the apple blooms
already past.

Whenever this has happened to me - with other kinds of fruit trees - I was always told that some trees just take a long time to break dormancy, especially when first planted. I was always told to give it time, especially if the twigs are still green.

Unfortunately, in my own experience, none of those trees ever survived. I don't think I had a single one finally break dormancy (one or two grafted trees did start sprouting from the roots, but that wasn't much help). We're not talking a huge number of trees here - indeed, only a handful - so my experience is limited. But I'm not at all hopeful now when this happens (and I've got this situation again this year).

But who knows? As long as they're still alive, there's hope.

Good luck,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

http://garthright.blogspot.com/

--
America was never imagined as a democracy of dumbness. The Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were written by an elite group of leaders, and although their dream was limited to white men, it held the seeds of a future in which anyone might aspire to the highest - let us say it out loud, elite - level of achievement. - Susan Jacoby